28 August 2007

Who Am I? What do I do?

I was reading Maggie Mason's blog Mighty Girl just today. I came across a quote that she has been mulling over since she heard it.

"Also, Andrew Hinton from Vanguard said something that I’ve been mulling over lately, “An individual is not defined by any one practice, but we do typically want to identify with one.” In other words, “What do you do?” can be a tough question for some of us" (maggie didn't have a period at the end so I won't add one)

Now that I've read it, I'm mulling it over. What do you do is a hard question for me to answer. I usually feel like a schizophrenic when answering. People always seem (or at least that is how I view their view of me) to think that I am scattered. Or a jack of all trades... Or that I am just a real goof. That is not the case at all.

I just enjoy learning and doing. I am not afraid of hard work, and I need to be constantly stimulated. I could never do a job where you do the same thing day in and day out. It would make me crazy. I respect people that can do those jobs. I find great character in them. Just not in me doing a job like that. I would become a rabble rouser in short order and find myself out of work.

So what's the matter with doing a lot of things? I think probably nothing, but in some it stirs ire or resentment or possibly jealousy. Therefore those of us who can't light on one thing feel outside the norm and just plain weird.

A sampling of the things I do.

Quilt:Wall Hanging

Cook: Pumkin Pie

Decorate cakes:Inchin along

Craft:June

Crochet:Stockings

Fuse Glass:Aqua

And I love photography:daffodil

I also am hopelessly devoted to the food industry and blog about that too.

Those are some of who I am. I am also a mom, a grandmother, a sister, an aunt, a friend, a wife, the love of someone's life, a daughter, a woman, and a survivor.

Aren't we all?