10 November 2005

One problem I've found growing up in the late 60s and 70s.

Elizabeth Arden. Estee Lauder. Max Factor. Revlon. Bonne Bell. Then there's Mac. Urban Decay. Laura Mercier. Mary Kay. Prescriptives. Make-up Companies. I know there's more.

And those are just the ones I can name off the top of my head. The problem with it is that I can name them. I can go to their counters. I can purchase stuff. I can take it home. And then, once it's there...

What do I do with it???????

I am a child of the sixties and seventies. We were 'natural' girls. We were peace loving hippies who needed nothing more than a couple of great looking flowers and some lip gloss. Give me my Eau de Love and some patchouli oil on occasion and I was good to go. Essential oils. Now there's where I excel. Doesn't help me now, other than with that good silky skin, still have that thanks to essential oils. And they still smell great. I can't ever find sweet pea though.

I am getting older. I could, like my sisters, put on some make-up, dress up the lips a bit, and look a bit younger. If not a bit younger, at least well put together. Only I never learned how. I was a natural girl. Who needs make-up? I didn't then, now I do. My lips are becoming invisible. I still have great eyelashes, yet their color has faded. My skin is getting blotchier by the day. I spent more than my fair share of time in the sun. We would burn on purpose. It gave us a healthy glow. Now all it gives us is more spots! It amazes me what a couple of years made in the different approach toward make-up there is in my sisters and me. They got on the make-up train. I was too busy being natural. Ugh.

What's a girl to do? Don't tell me to go to the counter. I've been there. My money and I have parted ways many times. I still look silly with the products. So I have one last resort. My #2 is deciding to go to professional make-up artist school. I am encouraging her, majorly! Maybe if she gets some real training, she can take care of me. Now I just have to get her to live in the same state as me. Anyone else in need of some tips?