08 November 2005

Dwell Magazine

This year I think it was in March or so I discovered a new magazine. We are thinking of building in a couple of years, and want to be very minimalist in the build. We have looked at different modular plans and have just about decided on one. I was checking out the magazine rack at B&N found this interesting design magazine. Dwell is a new urban design magazine extolling the virtues of modern minimalist living. It has many great links and ideas to build upon. My only complaint is that minimalist to me sounds great, but some of the Dwell vendors, are all about minimal except their prices. A soak tub for $16,800 sounds great but if I can get the exact thing somewhere else, for half the price, why go for the nametag?

I still read the magazine every month, and in fact became a subscriber, because ideas are ideas. I can always source less expensive tubs, lights, shelving, or any other supplier to meet my needs. I am not all about the name brand. In fact very much against it. Conspicuous consumption is an evil that brings its own level of danger. I want a house that looks like everyone else's with nothing drawing attention to it. Not that I am against nice things, I just don't want everyone to know I have them.

Some interesting links they provide this month:

Room and Board Cool stuff. Great place to get ideas for a "sensible chic" redesign.

Modernica is a great lighting place. They also have other design ideas. My favorite? I love the bubble lamps, especially the Propeller one.

I love the rugs at Emma Gardner Designs! They have such a great look to them. I love the way she brings outdoors inside.

Everyone is already familiar with this link, but I had to include them anyway! I love Acme bags! They are the perfect bag even if you don't have a laptop. I just love the structured look to them.

Want formaldehyde-free woods in your home? Choose veneers or solid hardwoods at Columbia Forest Products.

Those are just a few of the ideas packed into each issue of Dwell. It is worth the price of subscription to see all those design ideas for home in one place.