07 July 2006

Monday Meme

Lisa has gone and tagged me for a Monday Meme. Funny, it's Friday. But hey it's Lisa! I'm going to have some fun aswering her questions.


1. Do you think that anyone with a desire to create is an artist of sorts?

As much as I'd like to believe the statement, I have to say I am a bit skeptical. Pretty much everyone has a desire to create. However, not everyone who creates does it well. And, not everything that is created can be classified as art. Art can be very subjective, and it is not appreciated by everyone. So I guess the "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" cliche is really true.

2. What frightens you most about getting older?

Hmmmm. I haven't really thought about it all that much. You see, I am a minimalist when it comes to the future. People I love won't get sick, get feeble, move away, all those things that can make me sad. Getting old has it's scary parts, I am choosing not to think about them.

I love the city. When I drive through a large city I notice the older citizens. I imagine what life must have been for them years and years ago. You see, when you're young you own the city. It's your place, you know the nieghborhoods, the best places to eat and the best place to find a bargain. Suddenly though, it got faster paced. Some of your favorite places closed up shop and the new ones aren't nearly as friendly as the old ones. The faces are becoming less familiar and the neighbors have moved away. You find yourself a stranger in your own hometown, eventually.

I see them every time I go. Still holding onto their memories of life the way it was a few years back. Still pulling that cart behind them filled with laundry or groceries. Hobbling slowly down the sidewalks, as youngsters on skates or boards fly passed in a wink. No one stops to visit or chat. They'll stop and buy a newspaper, more out of habit than need, truly afraid of the newest headlines. Simple reminders of a life gone by. Too quickly.

3. When was the first time you traveled by air? Where did you go?

I don't remember. I do know it was after I had been married a long time. I think it must have been to San Francisco for work out of Salt Lake. I was working for American Stores at the time and we were moving a portion of the buying company from San Mateo to Salt Lake City. I remember sittin gon the plane in Salt Lake watching the wings ice up waiting for departure clearance. I kept thinking it was not good for this to happen and we needed to get off the ground soon. Finally after a longer wait than one would expect we took off and landed safely in SF. Then we drove to the hotel, that trip seemed to take almost as long as the entire flight!

Flying is one of my very favorite things to do. I like big airplanes and small. I even like helicopters. In fact, I've flown a helicopter. An R22. It was a blast. I spent an hour flying and wish, oh wish, I could go back and become a pilot. I think it would be great to have a license and be able to fly medi-vac in the north of Arizona. The only problem with the equation is that an R22 costs about $200,000. I would love to be a helicopter pilot. Maybe I just need to sell a few more Sunspots!

We owned a plane in the 80s and 90s. It was a six seater Cherokee Six. A flying bus. We flew everywhere. San Francisco, Newport Beach, Mexico, Arizona. All kinds of different places. It was a blast and we learned quickly how fragile mortality can be at times. Once we even killed the engine just before landing by mistake. Aaaaack! It made for good memories.

Okay Lisa, this one was pretty easy. Tagging, hmmm. Anyone who wants to participate!