01 January 2006

Happy New Year!

I never quite got into the whole happy new year thing. I don't know why but to stay up late one evening a year and celebrate all that is new again seems/seemed silly. However, everyone else seems to really embrace it. I guess I'll just climb aboard and wish you all well.

One thing, in a talk given by Gordon B Hinckley in 1978, he quoted someone named ET Sullivan. I had just given birth to my first child when the magazine came that included the quote: "E. T. Sullivan once wrote these interesting words: “When God wants a great work done in the world or a great wrong righted, he goes about it in a very unusual way. He doesn’t stir up his earthquakes or send forth his thunderbolts. Instead, he has a helpless baby born, perhaps in a simple home out of some obscure mother. And then God puts the idea into the mother’s heart, and she puts it into the baby’s mind. And then God waits. The greatest forces in the world are not the earthquakes and the thunderbolts. The greatest forces in the world are babies.” (The Treasure Chest, p. 53.)"

It struck a chord with me then and still resonates with me today.So if anything should be celebrated it is the wonder that comes with the birth of each child. Susan has a post about this same subject. Sort of. It extolls the virtue of small people. I love them.

We went to Utah for a few days for Christmas and got to spend time with our favorite short person. She was lively and fun adn full of wonder. A room filled with shiny packages and more for her than anyone! Simple remembrances of a first remembered Christmas. I know she has been a wonderful force in the lives of all our family members. We are thankful for her and all the little ones.