04 October 2006

Behold your little ones...

My friend Lisa has great blog. She talks about raising her children, her life as a child, and all those things in between. She has a full plate and challenges herself every day.

You see, Lisa has Ethan. Ethan was born almost three years ago with severe disablilities. She has found inner strength she didn't know she had. Ethan is teaching her things, she now realizes are essential to her life and others'. Lisa has taught me many things, as she has others. If you haven't read her blog, you owe yourself the opportunity to get to know her and Ethan. You never know, you may just learn something too.

Just before my oldest daughter was born, in November of 1978, Gordon B Hinckley gave a talk in October conference at church. He quoted E T Sullivan and said this:
E. T. Sullivan once wrote these interesting words: “When God wants a great work done in the world or a great wrong righted, he goes about it in a very unusual way. He doesn’t stir up his earthquakes or send forth his thunderbolts. Instead, he has a helpless baby born, perhaps in a simple home out of some obscure mother. And then God puts the idea into the mother’s heart, and she puts it into the baby’s mind. And then God waits. The greatest forces in the world are not the earthquakes and the thunderbolts. The greatest forces in the world are babies.”

I know for a fact that this is true. My first child changed me in ways that I could never describe. She gave me joy and happiness. She taught me how to be a mom, she sacrificed herself against the rock that was me on occasion. She challenged me, and she was a little miracle in my life. Never in my life did I think that I could do it. Be a mom, that is. But she helped me learn that it was not an impossible task, that children are resiliant and that they love you inspite of your worst mood. She taught me to enjoy being a kid, that kids can be serious, and a head like a rock is a force to be reckoned with and that moms and daughters can grow up together and be friends.

Today, my oldest, found out some great news. Yes, she already knew she was pregnant. That of course is the miracle. But today, today she found out that she will give birth to a son. A wonderful little boy that will prove her through the years. Prove her to be the kind of mom she can be, and has always been inside, waiting to be discovered. Congratulations, little one. Thanks, for being one of the greatest forces in the world, to me.