28 August 2006

I've been up to something


just a hobby
Originally uploaded by foodchronicles.
For years I have been fascinated by glass. I collect glass/crystal candy dishes, love vases and have more than my fair share of Crate and Barrel dishware.

I have stumbled upon a way to make glass even more a part of my life. Rather than going out and spending cash to acquire glass objects, I am now making them myself.

I stumbled upon the art of fused glass a couple of years ago. I didn't think of it often and put it in the back of my head. Just a few months ago, I was watching a show on tv. There was a lady from Texas showing everyone how she made little fused glass bowls. She made it look so simple, I thought "I could do that". A few months later I mentioned to my husband I wanted to give it a try. For a treat one Saturday we went to look at kilns and glass and see what was involved in this hobby. We weren't going to buy anything he said. Heh. Famous last words. We ended up purchasing a kiln, a glass starter pack and some tools.

After reading a couple of books and trying it out, I'm hooked. These pieces pictured above are the first "real" objects I have made. Currently there is more in the kiln fusing together and I can hardly wait to see how they turn out.

Here's another angle of the same dish and beads:

Fused glass

and
retro glass tray

The beads can be made into earrings and necklaces or door pulls and knobs. I am not sure just how I'll use them yet. One project I really want to do is make a back splash for the ktichen. Hmmmm. I'm going to need a lot of glass for that!