21 August 2006

Books, I love books!

We were talking at the bakery the other day about reading. The owner is an avid reader like me. I mentioned one of my favorite authors has a new book coming out soon. It will be his first attempt at non-fiction, should be interesting. We'll see if it is as good as his fiction.

So of course over the weekend the owner had to pull down her copy of his last book and begin reading. She came in all excited about reading the first chapter. It is fun for me to talk about the books I've read with others. I have loved books since I was a small girl. I figured out very early in life that books could take you places. Not in the literal sense mind you, but places around the world, to experience things I would probably never experience any other way.

My favorite childhood book was Black Beauty. I still remember receiving it as a gift for Christmas one year. It became a prozed posession. From Black beauty I went on to read just about anything I could get my hands on. A favorite was the Mrs. Piggle Wiggle stories. They made me think about how my aproach to things could change outcomes. Then there were the Beverly Claery books. Henry and Ribsy. Charming. I loved them. Dr. Seuss, Sam the firefly, Go Dog Go and many others.

As my own children grew favorites emerged with them. Of course Green Eggs and Ham, The Cat in the Hat and the old standards remained. But others entered. Caps for Sale, The Jolly Postman, Amelia Bedelia, and others. One thing still remains in our home. The bookshelves are filled with books to read. The bottom shelf being reserved for young readers. All their books are there to pull off and scour through and re-read. As they grow taller, the books to choose from grows. I don't think I have ever tossed a book or given one away.

You'll find all kinds of books on the shelf at our home. We even admitted out loud Saturday, we are in need of another bookshelf. Again. I can hardly wait for the new house. We will have a library. I am so excited to watch it fill up and be read over and over again.

What are your favorite books from your childhood?