06 February 2006

Happy Birthday Little Sister!


Yes, she's one of my sisters. S'mee to all of you who read her blog. (I tried providing a link, but blogger is having abreakdown this morning and adding hidden texts in links so I can't fix it!) Please check the side bar for her blog "Knot in the string". It's interesting though. For years she was one of the little girls. You see there were four of us. My and my big brother and our two younger sisters. My bro and I were joined at the hip. Then there was the little girls. They were lumped together and I hardly got to know them as I was growing up. I became the pretty one, the perfect one to them. A nemesis to live up to. I was a legend in my mother's mind. And in theirs. It was way too much to be responisble for. So rather than embrace them and become a force together I basically sidestepped the perfection issue and avoided it all together.

Not now though. I usually stand in awe of my sisters the artists. They are both so very artistically amazing I am the one filled with envy. But, to the youngest. Not only is she artistic, but she is the most incredibly friendly person I know. She knows no strangers. She can strike up a conversation with anyone. She make even the slightest person in the room feel comfortable. And, like they've known her for years. She is also very smart. She doesn't like to hear that, because she hasn't been formally educated. She thinks that's what it takes. Silly her. She is well informed and has worked places I'm not qualified to work. She spent years interpreting for the deaf. Still when we're inpublic it happens. Someone won't understand what she is inquiring about and there go her hands. It may possibly help them "get it". It's funny because most of the time they're not deaf, but they do notice her beautiful hands.

Well, little sis, here's to you on your day! All those many years ago you entered my life. A little bit of a thing. And more often than not, you were not known to me for the incredible person you are. I am grateful for the time we have spent together in the recent years. I am proud of who you are and, thankfully I can say, I didn't have anything to do with it. Your the kind of person I'd pick to be friends with. I can't make age jokes like you because we all know, I'll always be older!