17 April 2006

The Weird Meme

Susan has a post up about a meme traveling through the blogosphere about being weird. She's definitely got herself in the weird column and asks if we are too? You need to list 6 things that make you weird.

Well, I think, that everyone is weird in their own way. Also, that weird to some isn't weird to others. It really makes a difference depending on what groups you associate with the majority of the time. I'm not scary weird but I do find that in the largest group I associate with, I'm definitely weird. So off I go...

1. Being a Mormon makes you weird in the world. Being me makes me weird in the Mormon group. I get the "you???!!" comment all the time. Mostly because of the things I do.

a. I love rock music. Most people my age moved on to elevator music ages ago. Ugh. I still love to listen to KROQ going to work in the mornings.
b. I am a member of a couple of car clubs. One is all about detailing the car. I got a dual action sander/buffer for my birthday. Yes! I can have a towel slide off the finish of your car without leaving swirls in the finish any day. And I love talking about it.
c. I have always worked outside the home, raised three wonderfully perfect daughters, who're best friends were their sisters. We were weird because we all got along. No troubling teens at our home.
That's just a bit of what make me weird in the church arena.

2. I love to cook, talk about cooking, take photos when I'm in public eating. I have zero tolerance for food that wasn't prepared with any thought in mind. In fact if I'm at a large function, and see what is prepared, and it isn't real food, I won't eat. I'd rather go hungry than eat canned soup mixed with cooked chicken and fake rice. Call me a snob or weird, I won't eat it. unless of course you're in junior high and this is your first time cooking. I'll try to support you then. But if you're my age, and too cheap to really make a meal worthwhile for your guests, forget it.

3. We moved 16 time before I was fifteen. That means I went to 15 different schools before I had a driver's license. Do I have any childhood friends? No. I can't give you a name of anyone I went to school with before my 9th grade year. Except for possibly the names of a few guys I had a crush on back then.

4. One house we used to live in shared a driveway with an emergency room. On rainy days, the entertainment was to count body bags. Yes, body bags. Since then I've had a real interest in watching shows like The Surgery or Trauma Life in the ER. But I never want to work in a medical facility.

5. I have a friend who lives in a million dollar home in Hawaii, Lanakai Beach to be exact. I have a free place to stay when I go on vacation. Yeah, what's so weird about that? I can't go there. No money? Not the problem. Have you looked at a map of the world? Hawaii is surrounded by a LOT, a LOT, of water. So much that I can't get myself on a plane to go there to visit. I don't think I'll ever be able to convince myself to do it. Even with having a free place to stay.

6. I enjoy being alone. I can eat in a restaurant alone. Travel alone, and shop alone. Not there is anything wrong with going with my husband, or my sis or a friend. It's just I don't need anyone to be with me to have a good time. I can enjoy an afternoon alone persuing my interests and really have a good time.

Weirdness is what you make of it. It's not to be shunned. I love everyone's weirdness. It's what makes the world go around. Also, just because you're weird doesn't mean you need to be angry. Enjoy it and let others enjoy it. Life's more fun that way!