08 March 2008

Soundtrack

I've written posts before about how music shaped my life. It has added such a dimension it is difficult to tell someone about what an escape it was for me. The Beatles had their impact and wove together my sixth grade through high school years. Even after high school they had an impact. I think I could probably write a book full of memories evoked when lyrics or a song is played.

Tonight we had the pleasure of watching Across the Universe. I highly recommend it. Well, at least for those of you who are audiophiles or Beatle fans. It is a loosely woven tale of young love through the soundtrack of the 60s Beatles invasion. I enjoyed it very much. I even mentioned that it would be great to see a movie like it using all the music of the 60s and early 70s. It would probably have to be a series of movies or at least 4 hours long.

One memory. As a young soon to be bride, the usual bridal shower was held. In 1975 the showers given were very traditional. Songs were sung in tribute of this new step in life and the celebration of the love of this new couple. The songs were usually from the 40s, 50, and 60s and from musicals. Sunrise, Sunset being very popular as I remember. Well that just would not do for me. I was definitely a woman of independent thought and action. I was classified as a rebel and politely yet firmly stated if there was going to be singing at a shower for me, it must reflect me and my soon to be betrothed. My friend Nancy was in charge of the shower and enlisted her sister to take care of the music. It was great. She brought her guitar, audible gasps heard, when it came into view. She quietly and melodiously plucked out the most wonderful song. Every time I hear it now, it takes me back to that night. I can still hear her voice as she sang:

To lead a better life, I need my love to be here.
Here, making each day of the year,
Changing my life with a wave of her hand.
Nobody can deny that there's something there.
There, running my hands through her hair,
Both of us thinking how good it can be.
Someone is speaking but she doesn't know he's there.
I want her ev'rywhere, and if she's beside me I know I need never care,
But to love her is to meet her ev'rywhere,
Knowing that love is to share,
Each one believing that love never dies,
Watching her eyes and hoping I'm always there.
To be there and ev'rywhere,
Here, there and ev'rywhere.

And it has always been that way for me and mine. We were madly in love at 17, and still are to this day. I'll love you forever babe.